History of the Estate Management Scheme
Most of the homes that were built in those early years were owned by Welwyn Garden City Limited and subject to ‘covenants’ that restricted the changes that tenants could make to their properties without first securing consent from that company. These covenants and rights were passed to the Welwyn Garden City Development Corporation in 1948, to the Commission for New Towns in 1966 and to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council in 1974.
The Estate Management Scheme was created in 1973, in response to the Leasehold Reform Act 1967, which enabled tenants of houses held on long leases to acquire the freehold of their property. This would have meant that owners who acquired their freehold would have been able to make changes that could alter the original layout and design of their home without any consent. As a result, a Management Scheme was created for freehold properties to maintain high standards of appearance and amenity and regulate redevelopment in their area, and in order to protect the character of the Garden City.
The Estate Management Scheme was applied to most homes in Sherrards and Handside wards, as well as parts of Haldens, Peartree, Hollybush and Howlands as they existed at that time.
Page updated: 1/07/2019